Friday 17 September 2010

Old Man Development 2

To begin, here is the Photoshopped version of his expression sheet;


I'm quite pleased with it overall and I'm happy with his design so, unlike with the girl's character, I don't think I will have to re-do the outfit or anything like that.
The only thing I'm slightly worried about is that he looks like other old men characters. For example, he reminds me quite a lot of Geri from Geri's Game (Pixar), Count Olaf (A Series of Unfortunate Events), the old men in Rugrats and maybe the old guy from Monster House. I hope he's not too generic, but I intend to show him to different people to get their feedback, wait a few days and see how I feel and whether I want to change him. I also want to keep in mind that since this is only for a pitch and might not actually be used, it would be a shame to put a huge amount of effort into such a insignificant part.

So next are the colours. When designing the man, I took certain things into consideration. Firstly, I wanted him to be very different to the girl character, especially at the beginning of the film. He should have slightly duller colours, and colours that are on the opposite side of the colour wheel to the girl.

That's the girls design inverted so you can see where I'm coming from. A bit freaky looking..

And here's the initial colours I was thinking about;



In the end I settled for quite a basic one, but I'm not sure if now he looks even more generic! *sigh* Character designing is a tricky business indeed..
So here he is..


And then this is the colour designs for him at the beginning of the film (on the left) and at the end (on the right). I thought his colours could brighten up after he has exited the game because it's changed his perception on life a bit, helped him understand his grand-daughter and also cause he had fun :)


Maybe he could even get rid of the cane for a bit..
Anywho that's all for now, will probably return to both the character designs at some point and see if they need editing but my next stage is storyboard! yaaayyyyyy... ish :P

No comments:

Post a Comment